South Boston Walking Tour


E L. Evans 1888
B: 225-227 Main Street:


ELEvans2007.jpg - 50425 Bytes
FoundersArtStudio.jpg - 27552 Bytes
  Located next to the Evans building is the new school and commercial gallery of Founders College which held its Grand Opening on June 8, 2007.
  Among the most prominent buildings of the late 1800s, and probably the oldest surviving example, is the E. L. Evans Building at 225-227 Main Street. When built in 1888, the building was undoubtedly the most stylish storefront in South Boston.

The two-story edifice is distinguished by an omamental pressed brick cornice, the center plaque bearing its name, "E. L. Evans" and the date "1888".

This Victorian Italianate brick structure is defined by highly articulated brick parapets, panels, corbeled cornices, and heavy semi-circular Romanesque-like window heads. Fortunately, the original first-story storefront has been retained and the structure retains its architectural detailing and integrity.

The AAA 3 Diamond Rated resturant, Bistro 1888 is located in the right half of the Evans building.

Click on image to read about this home.

Edward L. Evans also built a Queen Anne style home in 1892. This home will be seen further on the Walking Tour on Washington Avenue. The imposing residence features elaborately detailed porches, pressed-brick ornamentation and an exceptional interior.










The next stop - Virginia Primitive Antiques


Back to Map