234 Main Street
Across the street, where the new Community National Bank now stands, was the Harvard House Inn, the town's first hotel. Later this area was occupied by the Star Warehouse.
At the end of this block on the west side, is a building that was a bar, hotel, drugstore, and bus station. It is now Virginia Primitive Antiques, an antique store.
It is interesting to note that just before prohibition, between 1900 and 1920, there were seven bars located on the west side of the Main Street. Ladies would never walk on that side of the street.
Back to Map