The dwelling at 160 Mountain Road contributes to the district as an excellent example of Greek Revival architecture of the type popular in Southside Virginia during the 1830s through the 1850s.
It retains a significant number of trees and shrubs that were planted during the mid-19th century possibly as a part of the house's original landscape. The architect/builder was Dabney Cosby, Jr.
This was the home of James S. Easley since 1843. Mrs. Easley's mother, Mrs. Wm. Holt of "Grand Oaks", although stout and crippled, came over daily, either driving her pony cart, or being carried in a big arm chair by two men. The late Mrs. Paul C. Edmunds opened the house for the 1950 and 1951 Home Tours, having the Silver-tone Quartette sing in the hall. The home is currently owned by Mrs. Hugh G. Edmunds.
James Easley, Sr. (1804-1879) was the business partner of James Bruce, the third millionaire in the United States. He had 400,000 acres of land in seven western states. His papers on Iowa land grants are considered the best existing by Alderman Library at the University of Virginia. In the Spring 1963 number of the Harvard School of Business Administration Magazine, 84 years after his death, the first 20 pages give an account of his accounts, and ending, said that his and Wm. Willingham's success is "an apt demonstration of the entrepreneurial talent that built America."
Although this 1840 home has a Mountain Road address, it actually faces Acadamy Street and is just north of the Halifax Academy. Sitting on a high hill, it is difficult to see clearly from Academy Street and the view from Mountain Road will give you another perspective. But, please do not go onto the grounds.
On the opposite side of Mountain Road is the Victorian Home.
Back to Map