Black Walnut, Clover vicinity. This historic Southside homestead is noted
for its unusually complete collection of plantation structures. Placed about the rambling
frame residence are a brick kitchen, a wash house, a dairy, two
smokehouses, two sheds, a privy, a stable, a barn, and a slave cabin. A late 18th century
schoolhouse and a family cemetery complete the group. Together these buildings remind us
of the complexity and self-sufficiency of Southern plantations.
Using slaves before the Civil War and hired labor afterwards, these agricultural complexes
required organization and manpower. Black Walnut's dwelling was begun between 1774 and
1790 for Matthew Simms. It was expanded in the early 1800s and again in late 1848.
Halifax County's only Civil War engagement--the Battle of Staunton River Bridge--was
fought on Black Walnut property. The farm, formerly among the country's largest and most
productive, is owned by John Simm's descendants.
(41-06) VLR: 8/21/91: NRHR:10/21/91.
See detailed history of Black Walnut Plantation Rural Historic District
information is provided by TheVirginia
Department of Historic Resources
and is being republished here with the consent of
the Gazette-Virginian & the Halifax County Chamber of Commerce Tourism Committee.
|For comments, suggestions or inquiries, email the Webmaster of Halifax.Com.
This page was last updated on September 12, 2003