Most residents of Northwestern Halifax County,
particularly those residing on Rock Barn Road (County Route 639) know exactly
where the "rock barn" is (or was). It stood for over a hundred and
fifty years in that corner of the county which was, in the last century, dominated by
the presence of Samuel Pannill of Green Hill.
In fact Pannill owned nearly as much land in
Halifax County as he did in Campbell County. That part of his plantation south
of the Staunton River was known variously as "South Green Hill", the
( to some hopeful descendents of Pannill ) or just "Pannills" to others.
In the mid 1800's travelers going from Halifax County to Campbell County or
Lynchburg knew when they saw the rock
barn that the bridge was just over the next rise.
Of course the bridge no longer crosses the
Staunton. It was destroyed in 1865 when it
was burned by retreating Confederates. The barn -
Pannill's last highly visible landmark in Halifax County - survived another 127
when, in 1992, it was demolished by its owner.