| Carter's Tavern, Paces vicinity. Carter's Tavern on Halifax County's
historic River Road, is a handsomely preserved example of an early southern Virginia
ordinary. With most of its original interior fabric intact, the spacious frame building
provides a rare picture of the arrangement of a once-common Virginia institution. Of
particular significance here is the great quantity of original graining and marbleizing on
the woodwork, most of it well preserved and unusually ornate.
Licenses issued in 1802 and 1804 indicate that Joseph Dodson, Jr. operated an ordinary here in what was also his residence. The place was acquired in 1807 by Samuel Carter, who enlarged the building by adding the two-story main section. Carter managed the tavern until his death in 1836. The tavern stood derelict for many years until 1972 when Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Edmunds acquired the building and restored it.
(41-08) VLR: 9/18/95: NRHP:10/11/74 See 4/27/98 Article
This information is provided by TheVirginia Department of Historic Resources
and is being republished here with the consent of
the Gazette-Virginian & the Halifax County Chamber of Commerce Tourism Committee.
|For comments, suggestions or inquiries, email the Webmaster of Halifax.Com.
This page was last updated on may 4, 1998.