Historic Buildings in Halifax County, Virginia
Woodhaven built in 1848
Situated on 5 acres, this antebellum home was built around 1848 in the Cluster Springs community of Halifax County by John Marshall Owen for his son on land bought from William L. Owen, his uncle. The house was constructed by a Mr. Carrington.
The pegged structure has ten foot ceilings and seven working fireplaces. All of the mantels, doors, floors and woodwork are of heart pine and original to the structure. The plaster walls have been meticulously restored.
The grounds surrounding Wood Haven have a pegged barn stable and cabin. The mature grounds with massive oaks, boxwoods, crepe myrtles and walnuts are a joy to stroll through.
Wood Haven is presently being restored by it's owners Tommy and Peggy Talbott.
Back to Map
The transcription and the updated photos are the work of Dan Shaw. In some cases modifications to the original text have been made to improve the flow of the story, correct typos, and insert new or clarifying information. Additional facts or further corrections are welcome. This author takes no credit for the original publications and its research. These local historians should be honored for the their endless hours of efforts to document this county's history for posterity.