South Boston Walking Tour
6: 1334 Jeffress Street



Halcyon Hospital - Two-story frame building featuring a two-story front porch with an enclosed second level serving as a sleeping porch or solarium. It has a wide front gable decorated with sawnwork and turned posts. Note the palm trees in the pediment. Halcyon Hospital was founded by Dr. Humphrey Singleton Belt IV in 1909, who was aware of the, need for a hospital here and built the Halcyon Hospital next door to his home (Dr. Belt was a native of Pittsylvania County and his brother, B. L. Belt was president of 1-brillard Tobacco in New York.)

Demolition of this building began March, 2005, Photo


The next stop - 1328 Jeffress Street
Back to Map