The Lord Halifax Hotel
The Lord Halifax Hotel was located across from the courthouse where the present Halifax County War Memorial now stands. Built in the latter part of the 19th century, it had 24 rooms.
This was also a social center for the town of Halifax during those years with many families enjoying a Sunday evening dinner there. Weddings were held at the hotel as well as the Halifax High School Jr.- Sr. Prom.
It was demolished in the early 1950's to make room for a gas station. That structure was removed in 2002 when the Halifax County Woman's Club purchased the lot to make room for the War Memorial.
There was a blacksmith shop on this lot originally and in 1859 a store was built here by Slyvester Pence.
Back to More Historic Sites