We start our tour at:
Occupying a site that has been used for court purposes since 1803, the Courthouse holds hundreds of thousands of documents relating to the people and property of Halifax County, Virginia. The court records go back to 1752, when Halifax County was cut off from Lunenburg.
The Courthouse was built in 1838 and is one of the Classical Revival court buildings erected by master designer and builder, Dabney Cosby and son, Dabney Cosby, Jr. They provided Southside Virginia with a variety of architecturally literate houses, churches and public buildings.
Dabney Cosby worked with Thomas Jefferson on the construction of the University of Virginia and participated in the design and construction of Courthouses in Goochland, Lunenburg, Sussex and other counties. Cosby abandoned the strict temple form for the Halifax County courthouse in favor of a T-plan and Greek Ionic order.
The Courthouse is listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register. The oldest one of these offices to the right of the courthouse was used as the courthouse for several years prior to the construction of the present building.
MORE COURTHOUSE HISTORY:
History of Halifax County Courthouse by Faye Royster Tuck
Halifax County by C. A. McKinney
History of Halifax County Courthouses by Kenneth Cook
Back to Map